The Crystalens® is an FDA-approved intraocular lens for the visual correction of adults with cataracts (clouded lenses) with or without presbyopia, or lenses that have aged or become more rigid.
The Crystalens® was modeled after the human eye. Like the natural lens, it uses the eye muscle to flex and accommodate in order to focus on objects in the environment at all distances. The crystalens® dynamically adjusts to your visual needs.
The Crystalens® accommodating intraocular lens is made with hinges on each side that are designed to allow the optic, or the part of the lens that you see through, to move back and forth as you constantly change focus on images around you. The crystalens is a small lens enabling it to flex or bend as you focus your vision.
- The first and only FDA-approved accommodating intraocular lens
- The only lens that uses the natural focusing ability of the eye
- The only lens that provides a single focal point throughout a continuous range of vision from far to near, and everything in between
Few patients with Crystalens® have experienced glare, halos and night vision problems. Crystalens® focuses only one image to the back of the eye, unlike a multifocal lens that projects multiple images that are not entirely in focus, requiring your brain to "adjust" to the differences. In addition, Crystalens® vision is sharp and crisp because 100% of the light rays are available and distributed - when you need it.
The effectiveness of the Crystalens® was proven in clinical trials:
- 98.4% of patients implanted with Crystalens® in both eyes could pass a driver's test without glasses
- 100% could see intermediate (24" to 30") without glasses, the distance for most of life's activities
- 98.4% could see well enough to read the newspaper and the phone book without glasses
- 74% of patients never or almost never wore eyeglasses
Significantly more patients implanted with a Crystalens® (88.4%) could see better at all distances than patients implanted with a standard IOL (35.9%).
Long-term experience means a safe and effective procedure - some patients have continued excellent vision 5 years after implantation with the Crystalens®. More than 40,000 crystalenses have been implanted worldwide.
For more information about Crystalens® visit Eyeonics®
AcrySof® ReSTOR® IOL
AcrySof® ReSTOR® IOL: The new AcrySof® ReSTOR® IOL is an apodized diffractive lens used in cataract extraction with lens implantation. Clinical studies show that 80% of patients receiving the AcrySof ReSTOR lens were glasses-free for most activities, including reading, driving and sports. Patients were so satisfied that 94% of all patients stated that they would request to have the ReSTOR lens implanted again if they had to do it over again. This lens is best suited for people that want to be less dependent on glasses, but need to read fine print. I introduced this vision enhancing technology to Rutherford county in June 2005. So far, I have had excellent results with this IOL.
For more information about ReStor® visit Alcon® Labs
Tecnis® Multi Focal Lens
"Designed to give patients back their youthful vision, the advanced pupil independent TECNIS® Multifocal Lens provides patients with high-quality vision at any distance, and in any light condition - even in low light. It delivers results superior to those of a standard multifocal lens and offers an excellent chance to become spectacle independent.
- Nearly 9 out of 10 study patients did not require glasses(1)
- Excellent image quality at all distances, under any lighting condition (2)
- Over 94% of study patients would choose TECNIS Multifocal IOL again (1)
- 93.8% of bilaterally implanted patients functioned comfortably without glasses at all distances-near, intermediate, and far- at 1 year (N=112)(2) "
1. Terwee T, Weeber H, van der Mooren M, Piers P. Visualization of the retinal image in an eye model with spherical and aspheric, diffractive, and refractive multifocal intraocular lenses. J Refract Surg. 2008;24:223-232.
2. TECNIS Multifocal Foldable Acrylic Intraocular Lens package insert. Santa Ana, CA: Advanced Medical Optics, Inc.